Where is Bora Bora????
Bora Bora, situated in the mid south Pacific roughly half way between Australia & Chile, is the jewel in the crown of French Polynesia. Bathed in the warm waters of the south Pacific, world renowned for the beauty of its mountain scenery & being enveloped in the world’s most beautiful lagoon it is a much envied tourist destination, regarded by many as one of the few real remaining paradises on earth.
French Polynesia is scattered over a vast ocean the size of Western Europe. The 118 islands and atolls that make up French Polynesia are divided into 5 main archipelagos:
- Austral Islands: includes the Tubuai Islands in the northwest – Maria, Rimatara, Rurutu, Tubuai & Raivavae – & the Bass Islands in the southeast – Rapa & Marotiri.
- Gambier Islands: the Gambier Islands are enclosed by a coral reef with only three passes to the open sea. The major, primarily volcanic, high islands of the group are Akamaru, Angakauitai, Aukena, Kamaka, Kouaku, Makapu, Makaroa, Mangareva, Manui, Mekiro and Taravai whilst Papuri, Puaumu, Totengengie and the Tokorua group represent the major coral islands.
- Marquesas Islands: includes the northern group of Eiao, Hatutu (Hatutaa), Motu One, and the islands centered around Nuku Hiva such as Motu Iti (Hatu Iti), Ua Pu, Motu Oa and Ua Huka, & the southern group of Fatu Uku, Tahuata, Moho Tani (Motane), Terihi, Fatu Hiva and Motu Nao (Thomasset Rock) which are clustered around Hiva Oa.
- Society Islands: the islands are divided into the Windward Islands – Mehetia, Tahiti, Tetiaroa, Moorea and Maiao, & the Leeward Islands – Huahine, Raiatea, Tahaa, Bora Bora, Tupai, Maupiti, Mopelia, Bellinghausen and Manuae.
- Tuamotu Archipelago: encompasses seven small groups of islands and atolls – Disappointment Islands, Duke of Gloucester Islands, Far East Tuamotu Group, Hao Group, Hikueru Group, King George Islands, Palliser Islands, Raeffsky Islands
The Society Archipelago is perhaps the best known as it includes the world-renowned islands of Bora Bora, Moorea and Tahiti – lush, dark green islands of volcanic origin, with ragged peaks thrusting upward into the skies. Approximately 60% of the population of French Polynesia lives on Tahiti, the major entry point into the region.